Sunday, December 26, 2010

Whatchya see....

and......EXHALE.....

Christmas is over. A mixture of happiness and sadness for many. What a beautiful time of year and an amazing season for those that celebrate the birth of our Saviour. This year was a bit more difficult for me. Things have been a little stressful around the homestead and quite frankly, time just got away from me. For the first time in.....forever {?} I didn't send out Christmas cards. Last minute shopping was something I can honestly say I don't ever want to have to do again! Sometimes what you see isn't always how things are. My point being this...many of my friends think I am an organized freak of nature. While, at times, this can be true, most days I am just winging it! I have some of the BEST inlaws ever. At Christmas, I struggle to come up with unique gift ideas for them. In typical last minute fashion, and yes, I mean on Christmas morning, I came up with this...
I took an old window for our neighbors remodeling job.

I copied a scroll from a free scrapbooking site online and inserted a 'C' in the font I thought looked best using my photo program on the computer. Then I printed it out and taped it to the back side of the window. On the front side of the window, I stuck a big piece of clear contact paper. Using my craft knife, I cut / traced the design. Originally, I was going to have the design look etched, but I reversed my thought and I like the outcome. 
This is the pane before it was spray painted. I used a flat clear spray paint, three coats and let it dry completely. After it was dry, I peeled off the contact paper and this is what I got...


Forgive the dirty door and not so great pictures...like I said, this was done after the kids opened their gifts and before we left for lunch with the family. I was nervous with this being the first time I had tried this. My goal was to use etching cream, but never fail, I could'nt find any in town. I am happy to report they liked it and I will be trying my luck at a few more. It was so easy!  

Well, I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and were able to spend it with the people you love. Best Wishes for the New Year! Cheers! Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment